Besides developing a number of experimental projects for new S&T indicators, PRIME has undertaken since 2005 a general activity devoted to the conceptual framework for the S&T indicators production and the requirements that the development of new indicators concepts and domains to the organization of the indicator production space.
This activity, coordinated by Rémi Barré, Benedetto Lepori and Ghislaine Filliatreau, has been based on the concept of positioning indicators as a new rationale for indicators production; by this we mean indicators aiming to characterize the relative position and linkages between actors (conceived as autonomous strategic agents) in an innovation system. From this basis, this activity has progressively elaborated ideas and propositions to address two major challenges of today's indicators production, namely designing new indicators (the design challenge) and ensuring their reproduction and maintenance (the capitalization challenge).
Results of this activity have been discussed with network members and stakeholders at the PRIME annual conferences in Paris (2006) and Pisa (2007), as well as at the first PRIME Indicators Conference in Lugano (2006); an overview paper has been published in 2008 on Research Evaluation.
Lepori B., Barré R., Filliatreau G. (2008), New Perspectives and Challenges for the Design of S&T Indicators, Research Evaluation 17 (1), 33-44 (download).
In the first phase of PRIME Indicators activities, the European Network of Indicator Producers project has also realised a series of country mappings of the national systems of production of S&T indicators; the underlying rationale was to provide cross-country information on the availability of data and indicators and on the organization of the indicators production system in each country.
Each national report firstly presents briefly the national structure of R&D in the country surveyed; the following parts are composed of :
- a list of the national S&T-related databases as well as their availability,
- a description of the national structure of S&T indicators production,
- a brief description of the main Data/Indicators producers.
A synthesis paper by Laurence Esterle and Jean Theves on the Analysis of the different European systems for producing indicators, based on the ten national reports, has been presented at the Indicators Workshop in Lisbon in September 2005 (download pdf).
The following reports are available online in pdf format :
- Austria, Michael Dinges, Joanneum Research - Institute of Technology and Regional Policy - InTeReg.
- France, Jean Thèves, Laurence Esterle, Observatoire des sciences et des techniques (OST).
- Germany, Rainer Frietsch, Fraunhofer Institute Systems and Innovation Research .
- Hungary, Annamaria Inzelt, IKU Innovation Research Centre.
- Israel, Daphne Getz, The Samuel Neaman Institute for Advanced Studies in Science and Technology.
- Italy, Bianca Poti, Emanuela Reale, CNR CERIS.
- Norway, Stig Slipersaeter, Anders Ekeland, NIFU STEP.
- Portugal, Luisa Henriques, Tiago Santos Pereira, CISEP / CES.
- Spain, Isabel Gomez, Luis Sanz-Menendez, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC).
- Switzerland, Benedetto Lepori, University of Lugano (UNISI).
||ENID Secretary: Dr. Benedetto Lepori
Centre for Organisational Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Lugano
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org - Tel: +41 (0)58 666 46 14